Stay safe on the slick streets. Hazardous conditions will persist through the morning as the chilly temps freeze the water-snow mix left on the roads, says the National Weather Service in Indianapolis.
Here’s a roundup of 10 or so links to get your week started:
- SNOMG: A “potentially historic” blizzard set to hit the Northeast could dump up to 20 inches of snow on New York City. Thousands of flights were already canceled as of Sunday. (USA Today)
- During the first quarter of Sunday night’s Pro Bowl, the Colts’ Adam Vinatieri missed kicking the extra point — a mistake he hasn’t made in a regular season game since 2009. Blame the game’s narrower uprights and farther-out kick. (CBSSports.com)
— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen) January 26, 2015
- Bill Nye “The Science Guy” deflated the claims made by Patriots coach Bill Belichick on Saturday about the scientific merit of DeflateGate. (IndyStar) | “SNL” spoofs the Bill Belichick and Tom Brady press conferences. (ForTheWin)
- Grocery wars: Three supermarkets (one Kroger and two Marsh supermarkets) and three specialty grocers (Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and Fresh Thyme) are battling for the loyalty of thousands of shoppers in a stretch along East 82nd and East 86th street. (IndyStar)
- Purdue University police are investigating a second sexual assault reported on campus within a week. (WTHR)
- Carmel parks investigators may soon start taking doggie doo doo samples to send them off for DNA testing so they can fine owners who fail to clean up after their pets. (IndyStar)
- Have you used the Plated meal-in-a-box service? I unboxed an order this weekend for a class video project and would love feedback. (My blog post)
- The future of cold-weather wear could be metal-coated clothing that retains up to 90 percent of your body heat. (Reviewed.com)
- “Sponsored” by my husband: Why it’s a problem that writers never talk about where their money comes from. (Salon) | ICYMI: Here’s how I’m paying my bills during grad school. (My blog post)
- Oscar season update: “Birdman,” “Orange is the New Black” win big at SAG Awards. (USA Today) | Oops! Did the SAG Awards reveal an applause track? (Entertain This)
What are you reading? Leave a link in the comments!